Date:
Fri, 5 Jan 2007 08:01:59 -0800

Here are some more of the posts about this "enzyme".  I am in no way interested in trying it but felt that the presentation on the Swanson site might mislead some of those who are just starting their gluten free diet.  These posts are for their information.

The warnings came thick and fast.  Many thanks to those who responded.

Jessie

There is a HUGE difference between gluten sensitivity and Celiac Disease.
Those "medications" and "cures" for gluten sensitivity may or may not work.
It makes absolutely no difference to those with CD. The reason is that CD
and sensitivities and allergies all affect different systems within the
body. The only "cure" for CD at this time is absolute compliance with a
gluten-free diet. CD is an autoimmune disease where the body attacks itself
when a person eats gluten. Currently, there is no pill or anything else that
can stop this process. Whether you have symptoms or not, the damage is still
being done when you eat gluten. If anyone is not compliant with the gluten
free diet, they are at risk for other autoimmune diseases like Type 1
diabetes, Irritable Bowel Syndrome, etc. They are also at elevated risk for
various cancers.  For me and my family, there is no food out there that is
worth these risks. Until there is published scientific proof of any "cure"
for Celiac Disease and not a sensitivity or allergy, we will remain gluten
free.

I hope this information does not overwhelm you. It is what I have learned
from extensive research/education as well as attending the International
Symposium on Celiac Disease in NYC in Nov.

There are a few posts about this enzyme on the Gluten Sensitivity/Celiac Disease forum http://brain.hastypastry.net/forums/showthread.php?t=7016

may want to check out the Swanson site and read about the product.  The web address for this product is:
http://www.swansonvitamins.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?storeId=10001&langId=-1&catalogId=10051&SourceCode=INTL097&productId=19197&R=10745&healthConcernDropBox=null&Ntx=mode%2Bmatchallpartial&Ntt=Ultra+BioCor+DPP+IV&keyword=Ultra+BioCor+DPP+IV&N=4294967191&brandDropBox=null&productDropBox=null&Ntk=Level1
  Hopefully you can just click on this and get to the site....or go to swansonvitamins.com and put Ultra BioCor DPP IV in the search box.

  Their product states "This product is not intended to replace a gluten controlled diet or to prevent/treat gluten allergies."

  Dr Kosla at Stanford is working on an enzyme that will totally break down gluten.  I think it wise to wait until this is out.

  We an only wish....