Condense Mail Headers

Date:
Mon, 13 Feb 1995 21:43:10 -0600
From:
"J. Murray" <[log in to unmask]>

Fat malabsorbtion in celiac diasese is due to a combination of effects of
celiac disease.  These include loss of the surface that is needed to
absorb fat, loss of digestive enzymes that would be produced by the
lining of the intestine.  The enzymes produced by the pancreas may also
be reduced by the degree of malnutrition of the individual.  Motility(
contractions of the intestine may also be increased ( or decreased ) in
patients with celiac disease because of the infllammation.  All of these
factors come together to impair the ability of the intestine to handle
fat.. All of these should also correct with the healing response to a
gluten free diet.  Occassionally there may be a need to add pancreatic
enzymes to help with digestion.  I have also on occassion have to give a
mediaction to aid gastric emptying.

Constipation has been desrcibed as affecting 20% of new celiac
patients..  In my experience this may be due to the passage of large
stools and cramping in some, while others will have typical constipated
stools with hard stools passed every 4-5 days.  This can sometimes get
better with the diet but sometimes it can get worse due to a lack of
fibre.  The use of pure rice bran apples pears and a small amount of
prunes can help.  Never ever use Gluten as a laxative.
Rarely a condition called pseudoobstruction can coexist with celiac
disease.  This is the most severre type of constipation and needs very
special attention. It is much rare than celiac disease.

The fat malabsorbtion is associated with specific fat-soluble vitamins
defeciencies such as Vit A, D, E and K.  These usually correct with a
gluten free diet, but sometimes need specific suppplements.