From:
Janice Palmer <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Janice Palmer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 30 Mar 2007 08:19:11 -0600

Is there anyone in Canada (or elsewhere) who is using asian rice flour ?
And, if so, have you found it to be free from cross-contamination?

We are using a brand from Thailand - it has the name Loblaw's stamped on the
package in fine print - they are one-pound clear plastic bags with either
red, green or blue writing, depending on whether the product is rice flour,
sweet rice flour, or tapioca starch. Superstore (Loblaw's) is unable to tell
me anything about the conditions in which the product is manufactured (they
are always very helpful identifying allergens in their house-brand products)
because they don't recognize the barcode.

I know word-of-mouth is a lousy way to tell if a product is GF, but short of
sending away for an ELISA test I don't know what else to do - regular GF
rice flour costs five times as much -  I'm baking bread for two hungry
teenagers every day, and we've all three been getting low-level
contamination from something. I'm trying to identify the source.

Janice.