From:
"C. Connolly" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
C. Connolly
Date:
Wed, 21 Mar 2007 12:03:54 +0000

In summary to my question about the two tests, colonoscopy and bone density
– almost everyone replied that the base line for the colonoscopy is done at
50 and than should be repeated every 5 years for one dx. with CD or if you
have a family history of colon cancer instead of the typical 10 years.
Thank you to all the people who responded.  I have taken the liberty to
shorten repeats in the responses, especially the above inf. on a colonoscopy
for the sake of summarizing.    All your responses were very helpful.  Bone
Density tests responses varied enough that I have left most of those

Colonoscopies are regularly performed at age 50,
if you are younger you could request one, but you know the
damage is not in the large intestine but in the small intestine.
If you are looking to find damage then an endoscopy is the
appropriate test to have run.
Regarding bone mass density testing if you have CD then
you should absolutely know how your bones are doing. You
should probably be tested yearly for BMD.
Hope this helps.

Bone density testing typically starts at
the onset of menopause; celiac disease may be a factor in starting
thisearlier, depending upon your particular medical history.

The problem might be with you insurance company. Just wanting one may not
be a good enough reason for getting the colonscopy. Your doctor will have no
trouble with the bone density test and should have you get one at least
every two years

celiac drains bone density, so you want this done soon.  you should be
taking TIWN LABS TRI-BORON PLUS..a cal/mag supplement with boron and vit d
to make the body absorb the cal.  everyone who has taken this has reported
an major increase in bone density within the years

colconscopies are suggested after age 50,,,the problem is that the stuff
they give to clean you out is not gf.  check the archives.  I am 65 and
haven't had one for that reason.

know that celiacs who do not stick to a gf diet have a very high rate of
colon cancer.  those who stick to a gf diet have a very LOW rate of colon
cancer.

If there's a family history of colon
cancer, its 10 years earlier than the age at which the relative got cancer,
if that puts the test earlier than 50.  Standard screening is every 10 years
(or maybe 5) for the colonoscopy (with no history or problems) and every 2
years for the bone density.

had my first bone scan last year after CD dx. I was 43 so it took a bit of
convincing by doc to get the ins. to cover it but they finally agreed. My
scan showed I barely had osteopenia but in fact a 43yo should NOT have that
- unless of course they have issues with malabsorption. I'll have a follow
up scan in May to see if I've improved in the last year by taking calcium,
d3 and magnesium and doing a wt. bearing exercise program. Colon test I did
at 42 only when doc was looking for cause of anemia which turned out to be
CD. The test itself I don't remember but the prep the night before is the
worst thing ever in terms of medical test prep work. Good luck to you!

I think it is sensible for a celiac to get a colonoscopy earlier rather than
later, not so much for a baseline as because one screw-up in the intestines
seems sometimes to precipitate others. My evidence for that is purely
anecdotal (i.e., factually meaningless); if there is scientific evidence, I
do not know it.

Bone densitometry is highly recommended as a follow-up test immediately upon
getting a celiac diagnosis. It is very common, unfortunately, for celiacs to
have developed some bone loss due to active but untreated celiac. If your
doctor is not well educated about celiac complications and especially if you
have not yet hit menopause (when lowered estrogen levels become a rationale
for checking out bone health), you may encounter some resistance.

However, you can fill her/him in on the whys and wherefores. If the body is
not absorbing calcium from food, it will leech it from the bones because
calcium is essential to bodily function -- helps keep the heart muscle
going, for instance. Your calcium levels can be perfectly normal at the
expense of your bones. Fosamax and other biophospates are dangerous for
celiacs until absorption is restored.

I was told colonoscopy @ 50, unless symptoms don't subside w/diet, and I get
a bone density every year, esp. for women.

If your celiac symptoms were weight loss & diarrhea type over a long period
of time, a bone scan is a good idea for any age, gender.  The diarrhea can
cause deficiencies in fat solube vitamins, and Vitamin D is essentail to
healthy bone.  We've had several 30-ish people in our group who had less
than optimal bone density.  Males as well as females can be affected.

Also, I was diagnosed with osteopina and that was before  they made the
connection to the celiac.  We do not absorb calcium  well. Your ob/gyn
should be able to order this test. I usually do one  every other
year(insurance only covers that way for me) at the same  time as my
mammogram.  You didn't state your age, but I would feel  that both are
important to do as a woman.  I would also suggest that  if you are going to
do the prep anyway for a colonoscopy, to have the  doctor do an endoscopy at
the same time.  Top to bottom coverage!!  LOL  But why waste the prep and
going under when they can do both at  the same time??  That way he can take
a biopsy to see the condition  of your villi to see if there is healing or
still some damage.  There  shouldn't be a problem getting the doctor to
write the order if he is  has good knowledge of celiac.  He can write it
that there is good  reason to look, no matter your age.  If he is not well
versed in  celiac, then try to find a good gastrointerologist in your area
that  is.  Otherwise, he might overlook something when you are having the
exam... Good luck.....

I was diagnosed with osteopenia at age 55, so they do the DEXA Scan for the
bones every year.  All I've read says the bones will begin to regenerate
after the gut heals, thus I take calcium citrate, vit.D and Magnesium, and
not the prescription meds which have too many bad side effects.

My doctor said they usually wait for 2 years between bone density tests
(after someone is on medication) to see if there is any improvement. I was
able to talk them into a followup after only one year because we were all
surprised that I was already osteoporotic and had not even stopped cycling
completely at that time. If you are a younger person and still cycling, they
might not schedule them too frequently unless you are osteoporotic and
taking medication.

I had my first bone density test about 2 years ago. I had just barely
stopped cycling (ca. 54 yrs old) but my mother has osteoporosis so the MD
was happy to recommend the test. I had frank osteoporosis already and have
been taking Actonel ever since. I had a followup bone density test a year
later and there was some improvement. (Another story...I've basically
stopped taking it because it gives me acid reflux and aggravates my
long-standing ulcer. I can't tolerate calcium pills because they nauseate
me. :-\). At 56, I am now completely post-menopausal.

I suspect that I was already osteoporotic because of gluten intolerance, in
addition to being a short, small-boned Caucasian female with family history
of osteoporosis. If you have any of the risk factors in addition to CD, I
think your gynocologist or internist would be happy to send you for a bone
density test. It is certainly reasonable to have a base line.

I have a friend who went in for a base line colonoscopy last month when she
turned 50....she was diagnosed with rectal cancer and had no symptoms, she
has now being treated with chemo and radiation after the surgery!  I just
wanted to urge you to get a colonoscopy...we all need to know about our
insides (no pun intended), not just us celiacs.  Both colonoscopies and bone
density tests are painless, I've had both done and get regular testing done
every few years.

Been there and done that - twice. Bone Density is absolutely painless and
non-invasive. My celiac disease depleted the absorption of Vitamin D and
thus calcium. After a year of taking garden variety calcium with vitamin D,
it was decided that I had improved and was no longer in peril.

Colonoscopy doesn't have anything to do with CD, or so I understand. The
doctor is looking for cancerous or pre-cancerous lesions in the lower bowel.
The procedure takes 20-30 minutes once you are in the colonoscopy suite. You
can even watch the process, but I opted to be a bit foggy. If the
pre-cancerous growths are found, the doctor snips them off and sends them
off for biopsy. Then you repeat the colonoscopy more often. The worst part
of the procedure is the preparation, and  nobody likes it, even doctors who
need colonoscopies. Just follow the directions exactly and you will be fine.