From:
Bronwyn Syiek <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Bronwyn Syiek <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 17 Jan 2007 16:52:54 -0800

Before Christmas I asked whether anyone had had problems with blended
margaritas.  I'm happy to report that I received many responses and the
response was an overwhelming but not a unanimous no.  Sadly one family
did have a problem and no longer touch them.  Overall advice from group
was:

- Always use 100% Agave (the brand I use is Corvo (not to be confused
with Cuervo))

- Be wary of margarita mixes generally - although they are usually ok.
Jose Cuervo told one person that most of their tequilas are fine (not
the lime enhanced one) but their pre-made mix with tequila is not and
their mix is not, though this person had found it listed on gluten free
lists. Same person hear that Mr & Mrs T mix is supposed to be gluten
free.

- If drinking margaritas out, rather than at home, be very wary of the
corn chips.  (I never eat them as I presume they are deep fried in the
same place as the wheat tortillas).  Also, double check that the barman
does not have a "special" recipe - one person reported finding out that
the barman added beer to his margaritas

- One person mentioned that they thought Triple Sec might contain gluten
- I did not verify this

- One person shared their recipe, as follows: My recipe for GF
Margaritas. One can of frozen (Minute Maid) limeade, one half can of
triple sec, two thirds can of tequila. Put in blender, add a bunch of
ice and puree. It is wonderful and no worries.  I NEVER order any drink
in a bar that is made with a bottled mixer. You just don't know.....

Generally good news for all margarita enthusiasts :)

Ps I sent this as was suffering from Celiac symptoms.  I found the
source - Maynard's wine gums.  They are my favorite candy from the uk.
I had never gotten around to checking them when I came across them on a
celiac association (sorry can't remember which one) gluten free candy
list.  I was delighted and at 6 or so per day for tend days.  Finally it
clicked and I checked Cadbury's website in the UK - they have a good
allergy tool and sure enough that was the culprit I think.