From:
Janet Kline <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Janet Kline <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 20 Dec 2006 06:14:44 -0500

Hi Everyone,

There was a news release yesterday that Spanish Scientists have developed a
gluten-free bread that is the same or even better than our wheat
counterparts!  I've copied the short article and link below!  Also, I wrote
the university asking the development to market timeframe and when it would
reach the States.  If I get a reply, I'll post.

This is a GREAT DAY!!!

Warm Regards,

Janet Kline
Charlotte, NC
The Queen City
www.charlotte-celiac-conneciton.org

The university link:
http://quiro.uab.es/_v_tecno_aliments/index.htm

The article link:
http://tinyurl.com/y8nxu6

High-quality, gluten-free bread developed
BARCELONA, Spain, Dec. 19 (UPI) -- Spanish scientists have developed the
first high-quality, gluten-free bread for people with celiac disease.

Researchers at the University of Barcelona's Food Technology Plant Special
Research Center say the bread has an increased nutritional value, a longer
useful life and a similar texture to traditional bread.

Those suffering celiac disease cannot tolerate gluten, a common protein
found in cereals such as wheat, rye, barley and possibly oats. Eating
gluten for such people prevents food absorption in their intestines,
causing an inflammatory reaction.

The researchers' goal was to develop gluten-free bread with a similar taste
and texture to bread made with wheat flour.

They say they created a 100 percent gluten-free product with a pleasant
taste and texture and of high quality that can be enjoyed by the general
population, as well as those with celiac disease.