From:
Abigail Humphreys <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Abigail Humphreys <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 21 Dec 2006 12:03:57 -0500

Hi everyone, just wanted to share this experience/caution with everyone.

   This is the first time this has happened to me so I thought I would
share a note of caution with everyone.  I went to a chain restaurant
this morning that I knew I could not get safe food at but was meeting
friends who were home visiting and it was close to there hotel.
    I took a tea bag with me and ordered a cup of hot water for tea.
They brought out a cup of hot water and a little metal tea pot with
hot water.  I put my tea bag in the cup of water and after I had
drinken about 1/2 of it, I topped up the cup with hot water from the
pot.  After a few sips I was feeling queasy which often happens if I
drink cheap black tea.  So I looked in the pot to make sure it was
just hot water and not tea.  Much to my dismay I found a very large
bread crumb, wet and stuck to the side of the pot and another bread
crumb floating in the pot of hot water.  I don't know if it's because
the pot wasn't washed well, or if it fell off someones plate while the
waitress was filling the pot etc.  But I normally wouldn't have looked
inside the pot of hot water, and I would have gotten sick and had no
idea what I got sick from.
   I'm still waiting to see how sick I get, usually with very small
ingestions like this, it can take me up to 12 hours to react, but when
I do, I know its a gluten reaction.
   Just thought I'd share the experience in case it might help someone
else avoid getting sick.  (Just one more landmine when it comes to
eating out).

Hope everyone is having a wonderful, healthy, gluten free holiday

Abigail
Toledo, OH