From:
Victor Dolcourt <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Victor Dolcourt <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 24 Jun 2006 11:19:40 -0700

Here is a variety of griddle cake that may be new to some of the list mates
- Uttapams.

You can buy the uttapam batter in the refrigerated section of an Indian
market*, or you can make your own. If you buy the pre-made batter, you
better cook up all of the uttapams at once and freeze them. The batter is an
"active culture" and gets inedibly sour if you keep it several days in the
refrigerator. I've done it both ways. The batter is easy to make. See
http://base.google.com/base/a/1101971/D17154215801739722398 or go to
http://base.google.com and search for "gluten free uttapam" (omite quote
marks). We tend to make our uttapams nearly fat-free. The combination of
rice and beans is a healthy food.

South Indians eat uttapams for breakfast with sambhar. The combination is
delicious, and uttapams and sambhar make a great snack or light lunch.
Sambhar is also included in the recipe.

But uttapams are a flexible food. They are good with Trader Joe Oregon
blackberry jam (not too sweet). The pancakes are flexible and could be used
as a bread-like surround for any savory filling you like.

Enjoy!

Vic-Sunnyvale, CA

*If you live in the South Bay (San Francisco, that is) or Fremont, you can
buy the pre-fermented batter at the five Kamud locations.