THYROID Archives

Thyroid Discussion Group

THYROID@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Date:
Mon, 18 Aug 1997 20:41:15 -0700
> First, synthetic (or manufactured) medications (Synthroid, Levoxyl, and
> Levothroid) are the drugs of choice in the treatment of thyroid disorders
> because they only contain thyroxine (T4). Animal-derived thyroid
> medications contain not only thyroxine, but also triiodothyronine (T3). In
> the body, T3 is naturally produced from T4. Taking in T3 in addition to T4
> (which is changed into T3) can result in very high blood levels of T3.

     I do wonder about the purity of these animal based derivatives,
particularly with respect to BSE prions.  Call me paranoid if you wish,
but a search on the net tends to suggest all is not well on the mad cow
front here in the USA.  One study suggests that given the cattle
population, there would be 103 SPONTANEOUS mutations that generate the
implicated prions.   Goats and pigs don't fare that well either...

     Some do speculate there are ways the body may deal with these, as
not all monkeys injected with this came down with the symptoms.

     Other studies show Alzheimer's type effects are often notable early
in adult life, mostly as a reliance on lists and relationships, rather
than a more robust web of associations via attributes.

     This is a grey area. I prefer to avoid the risks where possible.

-J-   (John, [log in to unmask])
CAUTION: I'm no doctor, I only tell computers what to do.
Nothing in this document should be construed as medical advice.
My opinions are subject to the availability of information.
I learn new things each day, and so may change my opinions.

For long lasting relief, consult an orthomolecular doctor
  Info?  E-mail [log in to unmask]    Or try the web:
<A href="http://www.mall-net.com/cathcart/">   Dr. Cathcart / Vit C. </a>