THYROID Archives

Thyroid Discussion Group

THYROID@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
"Joan S." <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Wed, 25 Jun 1997 14:32:41 +0000
Katharine Cummings wrote:
<snip>
> I was recently diagnosed with hypothyroid after complaining to my
> doctor of severe fatigue, muscle aches and joint pain, numbness in
> my legs and so on...
> Also was a 'nodule' on left side of my thyroid...
> I started on thyroid hormone a week or so ago - beleive it is
> levothyroxine?.....> kitty Cummings

Kitty:
        I have no experience with nodules (perhaps someone else will post), but
you are on the usually LONG road to improvement. The med you were given
is another brand of synthetic thyroid replacement-like Synthroid and
levoxyl-which works well for many people (I take levoxyl). Most of us
are started on a low dosage and slowly moved up based on repeat blood
work and our symptoms. It took me about 9 months to get to the dose that
was right for me.
        Hasimoto's is the form of hypo brought on by an autoimmune
disease--your own body attacking the thyroid gland, bring on hypo
symptoms.
        Most of the symptoms you mention are fairly classic, except perhaps the
sinus problems. I found the inability to concentrate and the general
mental dullness the most upsetting and the last symptoms to clear.
        Sounds like your MD is doing all the right things. The group is very
supportive and can point you towards very good information. Don't be shy
about posting more questions, you can learn alot here. I did.
Joan