THYROID Archives

Thyroid Discussion Group

THYROID@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Nancy Dunn <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Sun, 1 Jun 1997 16:13:14 +0500
Heather Ryner wrote:

> In my search to find out the connection between estrogen and thyroid
> hormones, I found in one of my searches that people with metabolic
> problems,thyroid problems and on estrogen replacement are more apt to
> be victims of sun poisining.  I have no more details...but I hope this > helps...
> Heather

For what it's worth:

Many years ago in the mid sixties I spent three months in southern
Florida (my husband was working down there) and developed a rash where
in the place on my chest where the sun hit.

Then in the mid-seventies in the I was photographing in the Galapagos
Islands. I was sitting under a shrub photographing a pair of red-footed
boobies who were perched just above me and apparantly my wrap-around
skirt exposed one leg which got a terrible rash.

In the 80's we were sailing in mostly day-sailors and I would get the
most debilitating headaches. I wore a hat, sunscreen, polarized sun
glasses to no avail. I finally discovered that the sun was causing my
sinuses to swell and if I took anti-histamine before the sail I usually
could avoid the headache.

Yes, I guess I am allergic to the sun. I do have thyroid problems and my
fat cells seem to keep me in estrogen.

Nan