ECHURCH-USA Archives

The Electronic Church

ECHURCH-USA@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Kathy Du Bois <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 2 Dec 2006 14:51:00 -0500
Boyy Phil,
         I agree with so much of what you are saying here.  I may be
wrong, because I was only a kid at the time, but didn't Billy Gram
get a lot of grief for being so involved with Johnson and
Nixon?  Anyway, it is true that politics and religion  don't mix
well.  It is hard to know how exactly to walk the walk, however.  An
extreme view might be that Christians shouldn't even run for office
because they will get tainted by the process, but then, where would we be?
         Unfortunately, Israel was a Theocracy and the priests were
pretty much in charge, so we don't get a great deal of practical
advice there either.  We're told in Romans 13,  to respect our
government and here in the U.S. we actually have the privilege  of
voting to try to affect its direction , but many Christians don't
even bother to do that.  I think that Dobson said that 20 million
Christians sat out the 2004 election.  I don't see how that
helps.  If we have the right to vote, why do we sit home and let the
non Christians decide who will govern over us?  I suppose that Rick
Warren's move to get more involved in politics is just a more extreme
version of my point of view.  I believe that we have a rare
opportunity to actually affect outcome, to protect the poor and bring
about justice.  The non-Christian sure isn't going to have a godly
point of view on that one.    I suppose that, to some, it sounds as
if those who get political are placing a lot more hope in our
government than in God.  I personally think thta God has provided a
rare oportunity to affect government and we are letting it drift away
like a helium balloon just trusting God to do all the work for us.
         I also whole heartedly agree with you that way too many
people who call themselves Christians, have no clue what they
mean.  If they are Christians, they are babies because they do not
take the time to be in God's word and spend time with Him in
prayer.  They are easily caught up by the latest fads and they never
put down roots deep in christ.  If, however, something like ALPHA or
Rick Warren's writing can be used to bring people in, it provides an
opportunity for the church to disciple and guide toward a deeper
relationship in Jesus Christ.
         We are a body, each doing our part.  If Rick's job is to
scatter the seed and mine is to water and hoe, then so be it.  I'm
just not going to bother spending my time complaining about where the
seed is scattered.  I figure that God can take care of that too.
Kathy