ECHURCH-USA Archives

The Electronic Church

ECHURCH-USA@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Phil Scovell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 2 Dec 2006 12:02:36 -0700
Kathy,

I don't necessarily disagree with anything you said.  In fact, I was born
again at the age of 5 listening to Billy Graham on TV one night with my dad.
Yes, he drifted into areas that drew criticism and it is no different with
Rick Warren or Bill Macartney and Promise Keepers.  When criticism is
constructive, that is, informative, I think it has value.  Just like what
John posted about Jack Hayford the other day.  When leading men and women of
God, or who at least claim they are speaking for God, say, and do, things,
they are open for public scrutiny.  I have watched Charismatics, for
example, change the way they present specific doctrinal issues because they
were openly criticized.  Quite frankly, what bothers me the most is when
these guys go political.  I'm registered and have voted since I was 18 years
young.  I watched, back in the seventies, when the Baptist church I was in
began to organize with other churches as a voting block.  It always bothered
me.  Billie Graham somehow never got trapped by that element.  Focus on the
Family is a fighting political machine now.  Rick Warren is drifting the
same exact way.  As humble as I am, smile, let me say this.  I'm smart
enough, spiritually and theologically, to see how such things create a
Scriptural drift from the truth.  They become authorities in and of
themselves due to their public stature.  Look at those who fell into that
trap because they were no longer accountable even to their own followers.
Jim Bakker, Jimmy Swagart, Ted Hagard, and I could name bunches more whose
names would have no meaning to anyone on this list because they were
Baptists I learned about growing up in the church years ago.  Promise
Keepers, for example, started with a political aginda from day one and they
openly said such was the case.  I am often criticized now for what I believe
but I don't mind.  Of course, friends I once had won't touch me with a 10
foot pole, unfortunately, but I understand.  I have never been afraid to
people questioning me about what I believe especially when there is the
possibility of going too far one way or the other.  I have people critical
of everything I say and do these days.  26 years ago, my own youth pastor,
whom I highly respected, found out I now speak in tongues and even as a
close friend of the family, he told my sister I was demon possessed.  Many
of my Baptist pastor friends questioned me back then.  Some disowned me and
a couple of others listened.  Frankly, I'm not for preaching that so called
Gospel at any price but many do it and feel there is nothing wrong with that
philosophy.  It is the Christian that isn't discipled and trained well
enough Scripturally whom I worry about because they are so easily led astray
by any little doctrine.  As much as I can't stand Hank Hanagraaff, I have
always been happy that he points out where a lot of the Charismatic guys are
wrong.  Of course, Hank has his own aginda, too.  I just wish we could get
back to preaching the Gospel.  We should be trying to lead the politicians
to Christ and discipling them rather than trying to create a global peace
plan.  Rick Warren must just not understand how impossible that is
Scripturally since the world is going to soon be a one world system
according to the Bible.  How could he miss something that big in the
Scriptures?  I suppose he would say this is all in preparing for the return
of Christ but it seems he is helping the other side more than standing
against it to me.

Phil.