From:
Michelle Z <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Michelle Z <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 13 Nov 2007 13:07:12 -0500

Has anyone used this stuff?  I found one summary in the list archive
from last year and it seems at that time no one had actually tried it.
 I'm going to relate my experience and if anyone else has any advice,
or anything to share, email me and I'll summarize.

The instructions say to use 1 part GFG to 5 parts gluten free flour.
My husband and I were trying the Walrus Bread recipe on the Bob's Red
Mill site in our bread machine, which called for xanthan gum, but we
wanted to try the GFG.  The combined total quantity of flours in the
recipe was 3 cups.  So we substituted 1/2 cup of the flours with 1/2
cup of GFG for a total of 2 1/2 cups of flours to 1/2 cup GFG.  We
omitted the xanthan gum from the recipe and made no other changes to
it.

When the bake cycle on the machine was done, the bread looked
gorgeous.  I turned the pan over onto a cooling rack, shook it a bit,
and the whole top of the loaf broke off in big chunks.  I was so
disappointed.  The texture of the bread was nice, and it tasted
decent, but I'm not sure if the falling apart was my fault, or the
GFG's fault, or something else.  Maybe I should have let the loaf cool
in the machine a little before I tried to remove it from the pan.
This hasn't happened to me before with my machine.  If anyone else has
experience with GFG, how do you use the product?