From:
Ann Sokolowski <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Ann Sokolowski <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 25 Mar 2007 21:26:31 -0500

I thought I'd better pass along from info re: raw fish, from my md who was very knowlegable about celiac.  He was dead set against celiacs eating raw fiash or anything less than medium rare.  Parasites are not killed by freezing or at less than 160 degrees.   He said that anyone who said they could see the parasites was a liear...they cannot be seen.  Let it be said that it is estimated that 90% of Asians have intestinal parasites. He said we had to be very careful due to our crazy immune system.

That said, I got parasites in a officer's club in Korea from rare roast beef.  I lost 11 lbs in one day..both ends and wouldn't wish the experience on my worst enemy.  It required hospitalization to get rid of them.
When I left the hospital I was waned by the division surgeon not to eat any meat less than medium rare.
As for sushi...stick to the cooked versions.