From:
Carrie Coineandubh <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 7 Dec 2006 10:33:05 -0800
> At 11:40 AM -0800 12/6/06, Carrie Coineandubh wrote:
>>>Date:    Wed, 6 Dec 2006 04:47:09 -0800
>>>From:    DS <[log in to unmask]>
>>>Subject: paleo diet for diabetics

> carrie,
> > i would be curious to hear just what this nutritionist said.
> > i used to do computer work for a state health department diabetes
> program. i was dumbfounded by the "nutritional" advice they gave out.
> > i concluded that they were, consciously or unconsciously, actually
> pushing the expensive diabetes DRUGS.

Hi Tina, this nutritionist worked for our HMO and we were referred to her
from hubby's GP. Hubby is overweight, and she laid out a plan that stressed
portion control but would have him eating more calories daily than he
already was, and many more calories from carbs. She did caution not to
overeat on the carbs, which meant he could have the equivalent of a loaf of
bread over the course of a day. She had models to show how big a steak he
could have for dinner. She stressed low fat, and recommended the fake fat
options instead. Refined sugar was also ok, but in moderation. One piece of
pie, not the whole thing. In short, limited protein, low fat, and plenty of
carbs divided into small meals throughout the day. Hubby could see the wild
gleam in my eyes and kicked me under the table. The other horrifying part of
the meeting was the racist comments she kept making about other clients
she'd had--the Japanese with their rice, the Mexicans with the tortillas,
etc.

I don't think she personally was pushing for drugs, but her training was
probably sponsored by drug companies.

--Carrie