From:
Robert Kesterson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 13 Mar 2006 15:51:18 -0600
On Mon, 13 Mar 2006 15:33:46 -0600, Paleogal <[log in to unmask]>
wrote:

> [...]

I think the issue is that the paleo diet premise is that mankind is best
adapted to a diet such as we subsisted on for the huge number of years
prior to the invention of agriculture.   It has also been stated that the
time elapsed since agriculture has not been long enough for mankind to
adapt to the grains and legumes that came with agriculture.  The article
says that mankind's genes *have* adapted to the "new" foods, and that if
true, that calls into premise the adaptation reasoning.

I have wondered about this myself in reading some of the recent postings
on this list (for example, that those of European ancestry may be better
adapted to eating beef, yet European colonization was itself very recent
in terms of our evolutionary history).  This is also shown in the studies
by Weston Price -- the diets of all the micro-cultures he studied varied
widely, including in some cases, large proportions of things that were not
paleo, yet those people thrived on it.

It seems to pose the question of whether it is the foods themselves
(grains, legumes, dairy, etc) that are at fault, or whether it is merely
what we *do* to those foods that puts our health at risk (excepting of
course food allergies etc.).

(I also think it's what we *don't* do with our *bodies* that leads to a
lot of problems (ie lack of hard physical work and exercise on a routine
bases), but that's probably off topic for this list.)

--
   Robert Kesterson