Date:
Sun, 17 Dec 2006 10:24:53 -0500
Oh, Colin, that is right on the mark.  I remember the AM-ers feeling that the
hobby was going downhill.  I was licensed during the waning battles between AM
and SSB.  And, a few years after that, when two meters exploded as modified
commercial gear was duplexed and the repeater was born, people thought it would
be glorified CB.  Yes, that happened in an isolated extent, but it really didn't
change the character of the hobby.

I think the thing that has changed the hobby a bit is the availability of good,
inexpensive commercial gear.  You don't see nearly the number of people with
homebrew gear any more.  Of course, SMC wiring is a lot harder than
point-to-point.  I know many a good tech who won't touch circuit board
components.

Steve, K8SP