VICUG-L Archives

VICUG-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Lynn Evans <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Lynn Evans <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 24 Nov 2006 13:33:23 -0500
Round 5: Security and performance
Which browser do you trust?

Firefox 2
You can't surf the Web these days without fretting about online villains
eager to take your money or your identity. Which browser offers the best?

PlayerRafePeterElsaTotal

Internet Explorer 73

I have to defer to security gurus in this category. Historically I've been
impressed with how seamless installing security patches to Firefox has been.
As far as privacy, both products now let you quickly erase tracks from your
browser, which is good.4

A phishing filter within IE 7 checks the Web pages you visit using
heuristics and a whitelist of legitimate sites. IE 7 lets you clean out your
history, temporary files, and Web cookies with one button, but it's not easy
to delete specific files in those groups. Another nice browsing-security
touch is the "Web page privacy policy" feature. The past history of
exploitable security holes in IE is a factor to consider.3

At least during setup, IE 7 appears to care about security by giving you the
choice to install a phishing filter. Firefox doesn't make its security
offerings obvious during setup. Both browsers allow you to clear cookie
crumbs that show the sites you've seen, but we found such features tricky to
find within IE 7's new interface.10

Firefox 23

Firefox makes it a one-click operation, though, which is much better. On the
other hand, it's far too easy to reveal all your stored passwords in
Firefox. You can put (another) password in front of this feature, but most
people won't, leaving their passwords easily visible to anybody who gets on
to their PC.4

Also adding antiphishing measures, Firefox 2 offers a choice to check sites
from a preexisting blacklist or via Google. Firefox 2 also offers more
customization than IE 7, letting you specify which warning messages you'll
receive and allowing you to view all your cookies in a list.5

Firefox's stronger reputation for security and Mozilla's practice of
addressing vulnerabilities soon after they're discovered precedes its latest
update.12

Winner: Firefox 2