From:
Kathryn Rosenthal <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 10 Sep 2008 11:14:06 -0600
From: "Marilyn Harris" <[log in to unmask]>
;

> Doesn't the body tightly regulate acidity in the blood? I wonder how then,
> if a food is acidic, could it be of danger to a person?

Yes, it is tightly regulated.  But there is a range with 7.0 as the midline.
Anything above 7.0 is alkaline and anything below is acid.  I keep pH strips
in the house and test my saliva every once in awhile, being sure that I have
not had anything to eat or drink two hours prior to testing.  My pH has
remained slightly alkaline for several years as a result of my being careful
not to eat too many acidic foods.

Here is a purely anecdotal experience that happen to me a few years ago: the
maintenance supervisor at a condo I owned up in Michigan, told me one day
that another one of his siblings had died from cancer.  I invited them
inside and we sat down and talked about it.  The man was born and raised in
a small village in interior Mexico; he was one of nine children.  Although
he was only in his 40s, five of his siblings had already died from cancer
and another one had recently been diagnosed.  He was fearful that he too
would get cancer.  He explained to me that as far as he knew each of his
siblings had had a different type of cancer: rest, lung, prostate, colon,...
I can't remember all the details.

It seemed like a great deal of cancer for one family.  I asked him if he had
had anything to eat or drink in the last two hours and he said that he had
not had anything to eat or drink for almost 4 hours.  I brought out the pH
strips and had him spit on one of them.  I could see that the strip was wet
with his saliva, but his saliva was so unbelievably acidic that the color of
the strip did not even change.  He repeated it with a second pH strip, but
with the same results.  I asked him what he usually ate and he replied that
he hated fruit and vegetables but he ate a lot of meat, grains and dairy.

Okay, I'll admit that this is just one person from one family and about as
far from science is you can get.  That said, I have been on an alternative
breast cancer list for almost 9 years, and we have had a very large number
of discussions regarding pH and cancer.  It has been my experience that
there is, to some extent, a tie-in between people whose bodies are acidic
and the incidence of cancer.  Acidic bodies seem to be almost like a
greenhouse, promoting cancer growth.

If you are a gardener like I am,  you are probably familiar with the
importance of having the correct soil pH for your plants.  I have been
preparing the soil for a large heritage shrub rose this week, and because
the rose wants a pH of 6.5, I have had to augment the soil accordingly.

Hope this helps,
 Kath