From:
Marilyn Harris <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 15 Mar 2007 19:53:58 -0400
> Correct me if I'm wrong, but  IIRC inorganic metals are all poisons.
> What's "good for your health" would then be from the food, not the
> container.

Hi William:

Not in this case (we were talking about the Berky water system). Chromium is
a metal (and an element) and seems to be required in human nutrition and has
been shown to leach at low levels from stainless steel (it is used in the
manufacture of stainless steel).

Marilyn

http://www.ajcn.org/cgi/content/abstract/27/5/505

Chromium nutrition in man
K. Michael Hambidge M.R.C.P., Ed.1
1 From the B. F. Stolinsky Research Laboratories, Department of Pediatrics,
University of Colorado Medical Center, Denver, Colorado 80220

In conclusion, the results of therapeutic trials of dietary chromium
supplementation have indicated that chromium deficiency can be a cause of or
an aggravating factor in the glucose intolerance of infants suffering from
protein-calorie malnutrition, maturity-onset diabetics, and of middle-aged
and elderly subjects in this country. Laboratory investigations have
suggested certain other conditions which may he associated with a particular
risk of chromium deficiency, including: low birth weight, insulin-dependent
juvenile diabetes and gestational diabetes. Factors predisposing to such a
deficiency vary with the circumstances: 1) a poor placental supply of GTF to
the low birth weight neonate; 2) geographical variations in dietary chromium
appear to be responsible for chromium deficiency in association with
protein-calorie malnutrition in some, but not all, communities, and the
effects may be accentuated by protein deficiency; 3) abnormal chromium
metabolism in the insulin-dependent diabetic may lead to chromium depletion
as a result of excessive urinary chromium loss; and, 4) fetal demands can
deplete the maternal chromium reserves during pregnancy (28). There is
evidence to suggest that suboptimal chromium nutrition may be prevalent in
this country, and may become of increasing importance with advancing age. If
confirmed, prevention of dietary chromium deficiency may require
modifications of current dietary practices and food processing techniques.
Currently, research is being directed to the improvement of techniques for
the detection of chromium deficiency, evaluation of the biologically
meaningful chromium content of diets and to the purification and synthesis
of the glucose tolerance factor. It is anticipated that progress in these
research areas will permit adequate evaluation of the chromium nutritional
status of individuals and populations, and effective measures to treat and
prevent human chromium deficiency.