From:
Marilyn Harris <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 14 Mar 2007 07:16:57 -0400
Hi Phil;

Yes I think you are probably right - see second sentence in this study. --
Marilyn

The effect of water, ascorbic acid, and cranberry derived supplementation on
human urine and uropathogen adhesion to silicone rubber.

Habash MB, Van der Mei HC, Busscher HJ, Reid G.

Department of Microbiology and Immunology, University of Western Ontario
Health Sciences Centre, London, Canada.

In this study, urine was collected from groups of volunteers following the
consumption of water, ascorbic acid, or cranberry supplements. Only ascorbic
acid intake consistently produced acidic urine. Photospectroscopy data
indicated that increased water consumption produced urine with lower protein
content. Surface tension measurements of the collected urine showed that
both water and cranberry supplementation consistently produced urine with
surface tensions higher than the control or urine collected following
ascorbic acid intake. These urine samples were also employed to study
uropathogen adhesion to silicone rubber in a parallel plate flow chamber.
Urine obtained after ascorbic acid or cranberry supplementation reduced the
initial deposition rates and numbers of adherent Escherichia coli and
Enterococcus faecalis, but not Pseudomonas aeruginosa, Staphylococcus
epidermidis, or Candida albicans. Conversely, urine obtained from subjects
with increased water intake vastly increased the initial deposition rates
and numbers of adherent E. coli and E. faecalis (P < 0.05).