From:
Paleo Phil <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 5 Mar 2007 17:37:49 -0500

Yes, every plant contains toxins. The animals that eat certain plants have
generally adapted to be able to digest the plant without being harmed by the
toxin, usually by developing sufficient levels of an enzyme(s) to neutralize
the plant toxins. Presumably, humans have developed sufficient enzymes to
digest and neutralize the plants that we've eaten for hundreds of thousands
to millions of years and the human system has presumably not had time to
adapt to the plant types that are more recent additions to our diet.