Date:
Mon, 29 Jan 2007 22:59:26 -0500
Groves:
> "On [the Inuit] diet, blood cholesterol levels were very high
> as were free fatty acids, but – and this in much more
> important – triglycerides were low. [xvii] [xviii]"
>
> [xvii]. Bang HO, Dyerberg J, Nielsen AB: Plasma lipid and
> lipoprotein pattern in Greenlandic West-Coast Eskimos. Lancet
> 1971; I:1143–1146.
>
> [xviii]. Feldman SA, Ho KJ, Lewis LA, et al. Lipid and
> cholesterol metabolism in Alaskan arctic Eskimos. Arch Pathol
> 1972; 94:42–58.

Philip:
> Actually, Bang, Dyerberg and Nielsen's study found that Inuit
> Eskimo blood cholesterol levels were very LOW, not very high,

I should correct that to say "LOW" instead of "very LOW." While Inuit total
cholesterol was much lower than the Danish figure, in the Bang/Dyerberg
study it was slightly higher than the top of the recommended clinical range
(208 mg/dl Inuit vs. 243 mg/dl Danes vs. 200 mg/dl clinically recommended
maximum). However, this is a little misleading, as the very high HDL ("good"
cholesterol) levels of the Inuit skew the total cholesterol up, so that
total cholesterol is not a very useful figure. It is clearer to say that the
Inuit had much lower levels of triglycerides and LDL and much higher levels
of HDL than the Danes.