Date:
Sun, 31 Dec 2006 18:39:45 -0500
On Sun, 31 Dec 2006 16:12:33 -0500, Ryan Chapin
<[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> My bet is that the writer, or whoever else was inclined to follow this
> experiment, would get incredibly sick.  Tom, I think if you are so sure
> about this, give it a shot and let us know how it goes.

Some of us have been eating raw meat for years. No sickness reported. Au
contraire.

> The fact of the matter is that we do not have a high enough
> concentration of hydrocloric acid in our stomachs to distinguish us as
> carnivores.  All carnivorous mammals have a much higher concentration of
> said acid which enables them to break down meat and digest it properly.

Hydrochloric acid is not required to digest raw meat.

> 0ur digestive tract is many times longer than the typical carnivore's gi
> tract.

They don't chew.

   As the original poster mentioned, we do not have the typical
> teeth of a carnivore.  You mention chimpanzees in your post, however,
> looking at their teeth vs. ours, their canine teeth are MUCH longer than
> ours.

My original reply mentioned that those who have sharp knives do not need
teeth. To make it plain, we have brains that take the place of physical
attributes.

  Moreover:

> "chimpanzees, like other primates, eat a mainly vegetarian diet. Dr.
> Jane Goodall, whose work with chimpanzees represents the longest
> continuous field study of any living creature in science history, says
> chimpanzees often go months without eating any meat whatsoever.

So they are incompetent hunters. Tough luck.

> All you have to do is look at the high rate of colon and other lower gi
> cancers and it's plain that a diet very high in meats is detrimental to
> our health.

A DIET OF MEAT WHICH IS ALWAYS COOKED IS BAD FOR EVERYONE. Man or beast.

   Which is why eating lots of fruits and vegetables has been
> clinically proven good for us.

If diabetes is good that would be true.

> Are we an intelligent and adaptable species, yes.

Some might not agree.

  When other food
> sources were scarce, we learned to hunt and ate meat to survive.

A truly perverse view.

William