From:
ginny wilken <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 7 Dec 2006 08:41:10 -0800
On Dec 7, 2006, at 5:30 AM, Philip wrote:

> I see that kefir is milk fermented with yeast and bacteria. I
> suppose that
> would seem to put your diet somewhere in between a pastoral
> traditional diet
> and a Paleo diet since soy and dairy are not considered Paleo.

Who said anything about soy? I never touch the stuff.

Yes, my diet is evolving to be a kind of opportunistic hunter/
gatherer within our society, where some foods might meet certain
criteria whether or not they were actually Paleo. Who said it last
week? Something like "You can be sure that the you can't go wrong by
following Paleo principles, but you can't be sure, necessarily, of
that with any other diet" . I think it was Jim. So, I aim for the
principle, and try experimenting around the edges. This isn't so far
from either Ray or Cordain, and I feel they've made some far wilder
excursions than I, healthwise.

Anyway, my own collection of inherited and developed factors leaves
me with some health problems that, after all the junk is cleaned out
of my diet, I still wish to poke and prod a bit. The reforestation,
as it were, of my gut is one of those projects. When it comes right
down to it, I find fermented milk possibly more natural than fresh,
since it happens any time milk sits around. One also has to consider
that all the components of milk are changed by fermentation, so I'm
not sure it can be judged the same as fresh in terms of nutrition -
or antinutrition. Sure, it's not Paleo, so pardon me while I check
out its effects. I haven't been getting this stuff for very long, so
it's all an experiment right now. You won't find me using anything so
clearly unPaleo as to be harmful, for sure.

ginny