Date:
Sun, 3 Dec 2006 22:34:41 -0600
We have adapted in some ways. Our little tiny teeth, which are keeping
on getting smaller generation by generation, are one evidence. Our
food is getting softer and softer.

One funny thing though, it isn't the meat that is getting softer. Raw
meat is in my experience easier to eat then cooked. The more cooked,
the harder, except for boiling which does eventually soften the meat.
So either our remote ancestors learned to boil meat, resulting in
smaller and smaller teeth, or, it was the vegetable portion of the
diet that got easier to eat.

Or, it occurs to me suddenly, it was the increasing proportion of meat
in the diet that caused our teeth to shrink! We don't need big honkin
teeth to cut meat, but we would if we ate lots of tough roots, or high
sugar, high acid fruits which would quickly wear down teeth enamel.

So, eat more soft, easy to nibble meat and fat, get smaller teeth.

The neanderthals had huge teeth, and were almost completely
carnivorous, but they also used their teeth as a 'third hand', so they
needed tough teeth. I have read that Inuit, who also used their teeth
like that, have very thick teeth.