Date:
Thu, 30 Nov 2006 19:17:34 -0500

As has been suggested, what your friend probably was referring to is that
duck is a very fatty bird (whereas chicken and turkey tend to be very lean,
with turkey being drier than the other two) and some people don't care for
the taste of lots of fat, so they tend to take certain measures to minimize
the fat, such as raising the duck on a rack, fat-side down, when roasting it
(so it doesn't soak in the accumulating fat drippings) and pricking the duck
to let more fat drip out. It's possible to roast duck so that it is crispy
rather than wet from the fat (hence the name "crispy duck" that is common at
Chinese restaurants). One person I know who can't stand duck refers to it as
"greasy," but it sounds like you may enjoy the fattiness of duck, and many
people love duck.