From:
Robert Kesterson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 19 Nov 2006 18:01:09 -0600
On Sun, 19 Nov 2006 17:47:43 -0600, =?windows-1252?Q?Philip?=
<[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> It certainly appears that way. Additionally, within 20 years or so I
> think
> that many of the Paleo foods will become too expensive for us here as
> well. Already I have cut back on tree nuts as they have become much more
> expensive in my area than they were a couple of years ago. The demand for
> some Paleo foods like tree nuts and flaxseed oil has grown even among
> people who know nothing of the Paleo diet because the Paleo foods are the
> healthiest foods and studies demonstrating their health benefits push up
> demand.

There's one thing that isn't mentioned, though, and which I doubt most
studies of the subject take into account.  As demand for a commodity
increases, price increases.  As price increases, new producers and new
sources of production will appear to help meet demand.  The higher prices
are a catalyst to greater production.  It is also possible to produce your
own food, or at least a lot of it, even if you don't have a big ranch to
do it on.  I have been treading this path myself, and it's neither
difficult nor expensive.  Plant some fruit and nut trees, start a garden,
build a small greenhouse, get a small flock of chickens going, and you've
got a good jump on a great diet, which will not require a lot of money to
maintain.

> We think we are OK because we have enough money now, but will
> we or our children or grandchildren have enough in 20 or 50 years?

My children will know how to feed themselves without depending on the
supermarket.  It's a bit or work, sure, but in these time, that's hardly a
bad thing.

--
   Robert Kesterson