Date:
Fri, 4 Aug 2006 10:11:28 -0700
Tim > In the short term I think this large of a caloric deficit is
possible
> while maintaining performance.  From an evolutionary standpoint we are
> adapted to cycles of plenty and not-so-plenty.  No matter how you tinker
> with the macronutrient profile, however, this kind of deficit is not
> sustainable.  At some point you'll want enough fat to to maintain.
> Whether that weight for you is 132 lbs like you were in college, or
> somewhere else, would be interesting to see.  Your three weeks are up on
> the 14th, I believe.  How about going until your performance suffers,
> then see what kind of caloric/macronutrient profile it takes to
> stabilize at that weight (or slightly higher), and with a comparable
> athletic ability to pre-diet standards?

Well put.  I'm going to have to get more interested in fat at *some*
point.  And, yes, my last day is the 13th.  I imagine that I will need
to continue this thing beyond three weeks.

One more point.  I believe Robert implied that I might be wasting
muscle.  I don't think so.  I don't have the fatigue and presumably my
meeting daily protein requirements would not allow muscle tissue to be
used for energy.  I am burning fat -- losing 1/3 a pound a day equates
to about 1000 calories day, pretty close to my daily deficit if I'm
doing the math right.