NO-MILK Archives

Milk/Casein/Lactose-Free List

NO-MILK@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Colleen Barrett <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 29 Jan 2007 12:20:57 -0500
Alex,
Well, from a medical perspective you really would not know.  However, as you
know, true allergy usually also presents with symptoms such as urticaria
(hives)/rash, angioedema (swelling around the eyes), possibly wheezing,
cough, etc.  Usually true allergy to the milk protein will cause the
generalized allergic reaction, not just GI symptoms (which is more
consistent with lactose intolerance).
Colleen

>From: Alex Oren <[log in to unmask]>
>To: [log in to unmask]
>Subject: Re: To challenge? Another question
>Date: Sun, 28 Jan 2007 17:46:13 -0500
>
>Thanks Steve.
>
> > The milk protein stays the same in almost all types of liquid dairy =
>products.=20
> >=20
> > There's no reason to think that yogurt would react any differently on =
>her=20
> > immune system or her digestive system. If the doctor wants milk for =
>the=20
> > challenge, then it's probably the best way to proceed.
>
>In that case, just one additional question.
>
>If she has a GI reaction, how would we know if it is allergic in nature =
>or due to lactose intolerance?

Spaces