IRIS Archives

Information and Referral and Internet Sightings

IRIS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Sylvia Caras <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Sun, 24 May 2009 11:36:51 -0700
The Narcissism Epidemic: Living in the Age of Entitlement
by Jean M. Twenge Ph.D.

"The authors dismantle the prevailing myths that have made us
inclined to tolerate and even encourage narcissism: that it's a
function of high self-esteem, that it's a function of low
self-esteem, that a little narcissism is healthy, that narcissists
are in fact superior, that you have to love yourself to be able to
love someone else."

"Individuals can start by practicing gratitude, and parents can teach
their children friendship skills, with the emphasis on others rather
than self. "

Narcissistic Personality Inventory (NPI)
<http://www.usatoday.com/news/health/2009-03-16-pinsky-quiz_N.htm>http://www.usatoday.com/news/health/2009-03-16-pinsky-quiz_N.htm

Narcissistic Personality Disorder (NPD)
The DSM and websites I visited are using models that are no longer
considered valid.  I found some of this site interesting
<http://www.halcyon.com/jmashmun/npd/>http://www.halcyon.com/jmashmun/npd/ .