From:
Louis Kim Kline <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 26 Jan 2007 21:12:07 -0500
Hi Dana.

I am wondering if the button that you are hitting is a mode button and you
are getting an RTTY mode?  I don't remember if that radio had a separate
RTTY mode in addition to AM, FM, USB, LSB, and CW, but a number of the
better communications receivers of that era did.  If so, then the "R" might
just be telling you what mode you switched to.  That is just a guess on my
part since I've looked at them in magazines, but never actually owned
one.  What I do remember is that the radio used the VS1 voice synthesizer,
so if yours doesn't have one, you might wish to look around for one.  They
aren't as scarce as they used to be, thanks to aftermarket suppliers like
the PIEXX Company.

You'll have to let me know what you think of that radio.  I was intrigued
with the filter arrangement and the VC20 VHF converter that Kenwood made
for that radio, but never got my hands on the R5000, much less on one that
was fully decked out.  I think that radio was Kenwood's answer to the Icom
R71A, though, and I bet it had a decent receiver in it, knowing what the
receiver in the TS440S used to sound like.

73, de Lou K2LKK