From:
Steve Dresser <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 23 Dec 2006 13:30:26 -0500
Lou,

You won't need the QSY-er since the R75 has its own keyboard.  I thought
about getting the 706 because of its size, but changed my mind when I found
out how the menus were set up.  I don't like having to dig through menus to
do simple things like setting the mic gain or adjusting the power level.
While it's true that the 480 does both of these things with menus, they're
very easy to get to, and the speech speaks the values.

I think I'd opt for the 3.8KHz filter, and get the sync mod at the same
time.  I might even get the audio mod, but I don't think I'd want the mod
that compromises the wide-band FM.  I'm not even totally sure about the sync
mod because I understand there's a Rado kit which may actually have a more
complete modification.  Then again, if you can't get anyone to install the
kit, you might have to go with the Kiwa mods.  If you decide to get the R75,
you might consider running it unmodified to see if you like it.  No sense in
spending money if you don't have to.  I've had mine for two years, and I
still haven't sent it out to be modified, even though I don't like the way
the sync detection works (or rather doesn't work).  You're right, though,
nothing is simple.

Steve