AXSLIB-L Archives

AXSLIB-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Erma Verhage <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
EASI's Library Accessibility Discussion List <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 26 Feb 2008 11:39:59 -0600
This was my recommendation:

D.	Amend K-State Libraries’ Collection Development Policy
to include accessibility.

Develop a collection development policy based on the model
under consideration at the University of Wisconsin.

A proposal is currently afoot to amend our [University of
Wisconsin] Library’s Collection Development Policy so that
decision-making pertaining to the procurement of indexes and
databases need to involve, among others:
●	taking into account the accessibility of products or
services under consideration,
●	requiring vendors to provide documentation pertaining to
their products’ accessibility (conformance to Section 508),
●	inquiring about their products’ usability for users of
assistive technology (outcomes of usability testing),
●	consulting the literature about the accessibility of
resources under consideration,
●	discussing more accessible alternatives,
●	Documenting the reasons for selecting an inaccessible
resource, and including accessibility as desired resource
quality in RFPs (requests for proposals).

Extracted from an article by: Axel Schmetzke, located at:
http://www.ala.org/ala/ascla/asclapubs/interface/archives/contentlistingby/volume27/accesstoonlinelibraryresources/policychange.htm
 Retrieved on October 3, 2006.

Erma L. Verhage
Coordinator for Library Services for People with Disabilities
211 Hale Library
Manhattan, KS  66506
785-532-7472

>>> Adina Joyce Mulliken <[log in to unmask]> 2/26/2008 11:18 AM

Greetings,

My Library is planning to add accessibility to our collection
development policy.  We have an example of a policy from one
other
academic Library (U. of Wisconsin at Stevens Point) that has
done this,
but we would like to find additional examples if we can.  If
your
Library has done this and you could share a copy of the policy
(at least
the relevant part), we would appreciate it!  Also any advice
about how
your library handles the balance between evaluating
accessibility of
online resources yourself versus relying on information from
vendors
would be useful.  We would especially be interested in
information from
academic libraries, but public or other libraries could be
useful too.

I participated in the ASCLA Ad Hoc Committee on Electronic
Media, but am
interested in additional information.

Thank you!

Adina Mulliken

Reference Librarian, Social Work, MFT, CFS, Aging

and Library Disability Services

Phone: 315-443-9519

Email: [log in to unmask]

E.S. Bird Library

222 Waverly Ave.

Syracuse, NY 13244

Check out EASI New Synchronous Clinics:
http://easi.cc/clinic.htm
EASI Home Page http://www.rit.edu/~easi
Online courses  and Clinics http://easi.cc/workshop.htm
Check the EASI Library Web http://www.rit.edu/~easi/lib.htm

>>> Error in line 8 of AXSLIB-L.MAILTPL: unknown formatting
command <<<