Date:
Wed, 25 Oct 2006 17:53:51 -0400

Thank you for your assistance.

Out of 10 responses, 4 said to see Dr. Peter Green at the Celiac Research
Center at Columbia University.  It turns out that Dr. Green does not take
any type of insurance (not a big surprise since he is such a big name.)
However, other doctors in the Celiac Research Center do take insurance.
My husband ended up calling there to try to get an appointment with Dr.
Lee (was put on hold for a LONG time---and told to call back.  He ended up
leaving a message after calling back and still hasn't heard from them.)  I
guess we'll see what happens.

Other recommendations:

Morristown, NJ: Dr. Carl Wallach who has an offfice on Madison Avenue
across from Morristown Hospital.  (Funny that he was mentioned---this is
the Dr. that couldn't figure out the gluten-sensitive diagnosis for my
mother-in-law 3 years ago.  I'm glad that someone is recommending him
now...perhaps he's changed some---3 years ago he thought my mother-in-law
had too much acid in her stomach and told her to eat wheat bread!  I have
heard he's very good-looking however...)

We deal with a pediatric gastro, considered to be one of the best in the
state, Dr. Joel Rosh.  While he does not take adult patients, he could
certainly provide a referral.  He works out of Morristown Memorial
Hospital. They are part of Atlantic Health Systems and I have been very
happy with my experiences with them.  My son had his endoscopy there and
they were great. Dr. Rosh can be reached at 1-973-971-5676.

Middlesex County: pediatric gastroenterologist out of Robert Wood Johnson
Hospital, Dr. Chen. Perhaps they could recommend a non-pediatric gastro
for you.

One poster said that many celiacs also react to Canola Oil.

Recommendation for SCD (Specific Carbohydrate Diet?):
Our daughter is on the SCD diet because just being gluten free was not
enough.  She had intestinal bleeding last summer that was not helped by
her previous gastro.

On the SCD website we found a recommendation for

Robert W. Schuman, M.D. Affiliates in Gastroenterology, P.A. 101 Old Short
Hills Road West Orange, NJ 07052 Phone 973-731-4600 Fax 973-731-1477

We drove 3hrs to see him and he was wonderful. He is interested in
nutrition, and gave her a special antibiotic to kill overgrowth problems
after she had too much penicillin for bronchitis from the family doc.  This
helped her a lot.  Then he recommended strong probiotics but the brand had
soy in it so we gave her a lot of a very high tech probiotic somebody on
the celiac list recommended, iflora from www.sedonalabs.com, and vitamin K
and she got better.  The iflora powder got rid of 4 months of diarrhea in
1 week taking 1/2 tsp. 3x a day.

We plan to go back to Dr. Schuman.  He is only a little past Short Hills
Mall at the corner of South Orange Avenue (it is called Columbia Turnpike
in Morristown and Florham Park) and is the 3rd gastro we have seen and he
was very sharp and very Cooperative.  He seems like somebody you can work
with.

I grew up in Chatham and would encourage you to try him.

You should also look into the SCD diet.  Our daughter is gluten, corn, soy,
Dairy and canola intolerant and does well on the diet with a lot of
probiotics and vitamin supplements.

Recommendations for acupuncture:
As a long term celiac, I seems to have solved most of my problems by
finding out what additional things I reacted to.  Gluten and casein were
the first problems, but soy came next, and for a number of years things
like potatoes and tomatoes and egg plant (the night shade family of
plants) were problematic.  Eventually, after a couple of years of avoiding
night shades, that problem vanished and then I stayed with gluten and
casein free  for an additional period of time, and still reacted whenever
I cheated on those things.  Then - miracle of miracles - I learned about
NAET.  As I have a son who lives in Denville, New Jersey, I keep track of
medical professionals there, and I think your husband can find a trained
NAET expert practitioner in your area.  NAET stands for Nambudripad
Allergy Elimination Treatment. My reasoning was that if NAET could make it
possible to use milk products (I already had no trouble with whipping
cream and butter - both fats and not proteins) I'd just have to deal with
reactions to gluten and that would be a dream.

I had other allergies -   ragweed, mold spores, fumes from formaldehyde,
some perfumes, etc.  NAET is done  with acupuncture - or with acupressure
or even very minor electric  current.  It is painless.  If you can find a
US trained MDto recommend it and then work with someone who is a
chiropractor or a doctor of Osteopathy and does NAET, and the treatments
will be covered by insurancce.  I was not that lucky.  However, once
treated, it is done forever - no pills, no shots, no further treatment.
We used to live in Ithaca, NY, and I was first treated there.  Now we live
in  Green Valley, AZ, and I had to find a practitioner in near-by Tucson
to treat me for the pollens from desert plants that do not exist in
Ithaca.  But that is taken care of, and I am so healthy (at 77) it is hard
to believe.

I have NOTHING to gain by taking the time to write this - I just want to
share the wonder of this voodoo medicine - I call it that because, in terms
of Western medical practices it does not make sense.  The Chinese have used
acupuncture for many many centuries.  They seem to have known what they
were doing.

There is a web site that will tell you what you might want to know.  Dr.
Nambudripad, who devised this special kind of treatment, had a lot of
allergies herself.  She is from India, but has an MD from the USA as well
as a Doctor of Oriental Medicine and a Doctor of Chiropractic degrees.
The web site is very Indian in aesthetic design - a white dove flying in a
blue and pink sky.  Ignore that if it bothers you.  There will be a side
bar where you can click on the fact that you want to find a practitioner.
Then you will click on New Jersey, and the doctors will be listed either
by town or by  name.  Choose one who has had at least two sessions of
lessons from Dr. Nambudripad.