From:
Sharon McIntosh <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Sharon McIntosh <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 9 May 2007 21:49:26 -0700

Thanks to all who responded.

Many people felt the gagging symptoms sounded like acid reflux, GERD (gastroesophageal reflux disease).  What one eats or drinks may make a difference, such as coffee or highly allergenic products such as cheese, beef and of course gluten.  A few people had such symptoms with gluten exposures. Stress may also be a factor.  Eating before bedtime or sleeping on the right side may make it worse. Allergies were the cause for many people.

Using a slanted pillow at night was recommended by a few people so as to elevate the head.  Acidophilus tablets such as FloroSmart may help, as well as Probiotics, yogurt or other cultured foods. Eating right away in the morning helped one person.  Getting labs done for alleriges or having an endoscopy were also recommended.  It was noted that acid foods can help if it's caused by the body attemptign to produce enough acid in the stomach to produce B12.  Seeing a doctor for a prescription to promote healing of the esophagus was also a recommendation.  Claritin was recommended for the allergy symptoms.

http://edition.cnn.com/HEALTH/library/DS/00651.html
The above link was provided for information on bile reflux.

Low potassium could cause the nausea and gagging and drinking Gatorade helps.

A hiatal hernia was a possibility.

A couple of people mentioned gallbladder problems.  Two people had resolution of symptoms once they had their gallbladder removed.  Abdominal or back pain may be indicators of it being the gallbladder.

One person noted that these were the classic symptoms of reaction to formaldehyde in the sheets.  Washing the sheets in hot water with a cup of borax, borateem or baking soda was recommended.

My husband's doctor prescribed pepcid which appears to be helping some.  In the past, before going GF, when he had stomach problems we would use the chinese herbal medicine called Po Chai that worked wonders but given that I have no idea what's in it, we haven't tried it since.

Thanks again for all the responses!