From:
David Gillett <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 1 Nov 2006 00:50:30 -0800
  Yes.

  Intel used the SX/DX specifiers differently for different lines.  In the
386 line, the SX chips used a different socket and only 24 memory address
pins (instead of 32 on the 386DX), so the maximum addressable memory was
reduced.  I think they may only have used 16 data pins instead of 32,
allowing RAM to be installed in pairs rather than sets of four.
  But in the 486 line, the DX and SX used the same sockets and pins -- the
only difference was that the SX doesn't have an (enabled) on-board math co-
processor.  (In lines prior to the 486, the math coprocessor was an optional
additional chip.  In lines since, it has always been built in.)  So there
was never any memory interface difference between the 486 SX and DX.

David Gillett