From:
Adrienne Smith <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 28 Nov 2006 14:11:49 EST
In a message dated 11/28/2006 12:19:02 PM Eastern Standard Time,
[log in to unmask] writes:
Do you mean that his heart attack
occurred 20 years after starting and losing the weight,
No -- sorry for the confusion -- the heart attack happened when he was
overweight.  It was while recovering from  his heart attack (20 years ago)  that he
discovered the Stone Age diet.  He credits the diet with likely saving his
life.  He is reflecting back upon his life in this book -- page 2:

"I know firsthand about the problem of being overweight, and I know firsthand
about the laws of nature that we must follow to lose weight.  Twenty years
ago, I was overweight..."

He goes on to say that when he reached middle age, many of his friends had
died of heart attacks but he was not motivated to lose weight until he himself
had a heart attack. Following his Stone Age regime, he went from a fat (his
word) 232 pounds at 6'1" to a lean 176.  His cholesterol dropped from 312 to 192
and then to 132 at the time of writing the book.  Here's a direct quote from
Pages 8 & 9: "In spite of having eaten a high red meat, high animal fat diet
for 20 years my last cholesterol reading was 132.  To my surprise, entirely
without any effort -- as if by magic, my weight kept falling at the rate of two to
three pounds a week.  My weight is now at 176.  Effortlessly, for 20 years
I've kept my weight normal."

Newbold explains that he previously never had any professional interest in
weight problems other than his own and that after he lost weight and lowered his
cholesterol -- that was good enough for him and he didn't feel the need to
"struggle against the medical establishment to point out its errors."

He goes on : "Now, 20 years later, I'm more interested in weight reduction
and teaching physicians about my new way to lower weight and lower cholesterol.
I've had scientific articles published about my cholesterol research in
respected, mainstream, peer-reviewed, Medical-Index listed medical journals such as
the International Journal for Vitamin and Nutrition Research and the Southern
Medical Journal."