From:
Adam Sroka <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 20 Nov 2006 13:39:46 -0800
Robert Kesterson wrote:
> On Mon, 20 Nov 2006 09:54:16 -0600, Philip <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
>>
>> Growing Paleo-food gardens and fruit and nut trees is a good suggestion
>> which I appreciate, but for those who don't own land or a greenhouse
>> itis not a solution.
>
> I didn't own a greenhouse either until a few months ago.  I built one
> out of PVC and plastic.  It wasn't difficult or expensive and didn't
> take a huge area.  It uses no artificial heat or light sources, so
> could be set up almost anywhere.  (Anyone who's curious can see
> construction photos at http://www.robertk.com/albums/greenhouse or
> some fairly recent crop photos at
> http://www.robertk.com/albums/greenhouse06 -- these are just photos I
> took for a friend of mine, neither page is trying to sell anything.)
>
> As for land, there's a book called "How to Grow More Vegetables and
> Fruits: (And Fruits, Nuts, Berries, Grains, and Other Crops)"
> subtitled "than you ever thought possible on less land than you can
> imagine", by John Jeavon.  It's not paleo-oriented, but it shows how
> to grow sufficient food for a vegetarian diet for one person for a
> year on only 2000 square feet of land.  I'm not advocating a
> vegetarian diet, I'm just making the point that food can be produced
> without having to till acreage.  My garden and greenhouse combined
> cover less than 600 square feet (including the paths and borders) and
> they produce enough veggies for my family.  You could grow some
> supplemental vegetables in containers on a patio.

There are also co-ops which give you access to local, organic products.
Because these are community-based it is unlikely that changes in the
market will overly impact them. BTW, this is the way that agriculture
worked for the first 10,000 years or so. Not Paleo, but a whole lot
closer than big agro-business.