AAM Archives

African Association of Madison, Inc.

AAM@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
"Wilmot B. Valhmu" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
AAM (African Association of Madison)
Date:
Thu, 10 Nov 2005 09:17:50 -0800
** Please visit our website: http://www.africanassociation.org **

Dahn,

I guess this comes with the territory.  Claims of
election fraud, that is.  If the situation were
reversed (i.e., if Weah were in the lead), the UP
campaign would probably have alleged fraud.  With this
in mind, I'm less bothered today about how things are
progressing than I was yesterday.

We would be making a grave mistake if we hedged our
expectation of the election results on who's most
popular.  In this election, George Weah appears to be
the most popular candidate.  However, that's no
guarantee of victory.  The fact that Mr. Weah had huge
rallies in Monrovia (some consisting of 100,000 people
or more) doesn't mean that the rest of the electorate
was in his favor.  So, the CDC campaign chairman's
stated expectation and acceptance of nothing less than
victory is on shaky ground.

My assessment of the current electoral situation is
that the CDC has been blind-sided by the electorate;
they've been hit upside the head unexpectedly.  In
disbelief that they could lose, they're grasping at
the most popular rationale for their showing in the
polls, i.e., election fraud.  For the sake of the
country, I hope they'll accept the results of the
fraud investigation and final vote count if both don't
favor them.

Let history be our teacher.  In 1948, the press in the
U.S. was so confident that Thomas Dewey would win the
presidential race against Harry Truman that the
Chicago Tribune printed a headline that read, "DEWEY
DEFEATS TRUMAN."  The reality was that Truman indeed
won the elections.  Let's not make the same mistake in
thinking that George Weah's cult status guarantees him
a win in the Liberian elections.

Have a blessed day,

- Wilmot

P.S.:  Did the reported ballot samples with
candidates' names contain the name of only one
candidate (presumably Ellen's)?  If not, how then
could it be said that the elections were rigged in
favor of Ellen?  Also, how will it be proven that the
ballot boxes were stuffed in Ellen's favor?  How does
one distinguished the fraudulent ballots from
legitimate ones?  I'm just curious.

P.P.S:  Although I responded to your post and address
you personally, my thoughts were not prompted solely
by your post.  So, please don't take them personally.

<http://us.i1.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/i/mesg/tsmileys2/11.gif>

<http://us.i1.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/i/mesg/tsmileys2/33.gif>

>       Isaac Settro <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
>

>               Report emanating from Liberia show that there are
>               evidences to suggest that the National Election
>               Commission under Judge Frances Johnson Morris has
>               conducted fraudulent election in favor of her
> distant
>               relative Ellen Johnson Sirleaf.
>
>               The People to People campaign is surprised at the
>               behaviour of the Election Commission thru it's
>               chairman Judge Morris. The campaign says the
> chairman
>               can't be a player and referee at the same time.
>
>               The Campaign condemns the fact that election
> officials
>               allow ballot printed with Ellen Name to be placed
> in
>               ballot boxes around the country before the process
>               started.
>
>               Judged Frances Morris is another Lafayette Harmon,
>               Emmett Harmon... and must come clean.
>
>               The campaign is calling CDC to seek legal redress
> in
>               the spirit of fair play and justice.
>
>               Isaac Settro
>               Chairman
>

>               __________________________________
>               Start your day with Yahoo! - Make it your home
> page!
>               http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs

>       Yahoo! FareChase - Search multiple travel sites in
> one click.

<http://us.lrd.yahoo.com/_ylc=X3oDMTFqODRtdXQ4BF9TAzMyOTc1MDIEX3MDOTY2OD

gxNjkEcG9zAzEEc2VjA21haWwtZm9vdGVyBHNsawNmYw--/SIG=110oav78o/**http%3a//
> farechase.yahoo.com/>

> web.
>
>       *        To unsubscribe from this group, send an email
> to:

<mailto:[log in to unmask]>