Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
Date:
Sun, 11 Mar 2007 16:29:51 -0400
7bit
From:
Paleo Phil <[log in to unmask]>
Ashley Moran
> Normally I'm quite a calm guy.  But when I see things like, for
> example this: <http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/4690230.stm> (that's
> one of my personal favourites)... well my blood just starts to boil.

From the article:

"A drink of milk was off the menu for Europeans until only a few thousand
years ago, say researchers from London.

Analysis of Neolithic remains, in Proceedings of the National Academy of
Sciences, suggests no European adults could digest the drink at that time.

Working with scientists from Mainz University in Germany, the UCL team
looked for the gene that produces the lactase enzyme in Neolithic skeletons
dating between 5480BC and 5000BC."

It is amazing that governments continue to promote dairy products despite
evidence like this. The massive economic power and lobbying efforts of the
dairy industry appear to be able to override science and common sense.

This article caused me to realize something I should have thought of before.
The idea that Paleolithic people might occasionally have drank the milk of
lactating animal kills makes no sense because it would have made many of
them sick since adult lactose tolerance didn't develop until the Neolithic
era. Pastoralists likely herded animals for generations before many of them
had developed sufficient lactose tolerance to drink their milk. The Weston
A. Price Foundation claims that raw milk might cause less lactose
intolerance, but I have seen no solid evidence to back this up and they have
admitted that some people have lactose intolerant reactions even to raw
dairy (http://www.westonaprice.org/children/foods-toddlers-preschool.html).

Milk/dairy is the most recent of the agrarian food categories (grains,
dairy, legumes, tubers) so it makes little sense from a Paleo perspective to
eat it if one doesn't have to.