From:
Roy Jamron <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Roy Jamron <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 1 Feb 2007 00:46:39 -0500

Fat malabsorption is a primary symptom of celiac disease and may result in
an omega-3 essential fatty acid deficiency.  Fish oil omega-3 supplements
provide omega-3 as EPA and DHA, the most important forms of omega-3, which
are not available from plant sources of omega-3 with the exception of some
marine algaes.  Because of numerous scientifically proven health benefits,
fish oil supplements have become "hot" items in the health product
industry, straining the supply of fish oil.  A new threat to omega-3 fish
oil supplements is being unleashed on the public.  Bad fish oil is being
used in place of refined fish oil as unscrupulous supplement makers try to
cut the rising cost of refined fish oil.  One scientist has devised the
following test to allow consumers to check the quality of their fish oil
capsules:  "Simply place your Omega-3 capsules in the freezer for one hour
and if they turn white and cloudy you are consuming lard."  My own omega-3
supplement turns cloudy with this test, so now I may re-evaluate my own
choice of omega-3 product.  It is not clear whether these lower quality
products contain the amount of EPA and DHA indicated on their labels
despite their low purity.

See:
Is Your Omega-3 Turning to Lard
(Paste this link together on line)