ECHURCH-USA Archives

The Electronic Church

ECHURCH-USA@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Reeva Parry <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 30 Aug 2006 20:46:20 -0500
The Holy Spirit: Gift Giver

1 Corinthians 12:1-31

Look into any church, and you will find a few apathetic believers. Their
faith may be real, but it is inactive. Some of these people have simply
decided
that they lack the right skills to live daily for Christ. But a believer's
limitations are no excuse for ignoring God's call to personal ministry-human
strength and talent are inadequate for serving the Lord. That is why the
Holy Spirit gives each believer a spiritual gift at salvation.

Knowing exactly what a believer's future holds, the Spirit can bestow on him
or her the capacity to carry out God-given work. We can't choose for
ourselves
what our gift will be; we are gifted in accordance with the calling placed
on our life. The Lord also takes into account our inherent talents and
personality
so that our effectiveness is maximized.

Some Christians regard certain gifts as proof of genuine faith. For example,
a number of churches view speaking in tongues as a prerequisite for serving
the Lord. However, according to Scripture, the only "gift" common to all
believers is the Holy Spirit Himself. Today's passage shows that spiritual
gifts
are distributed among the body of Christ, with no single manifestation being
given to every believer (vv. 29-30).

The Holy Spirit makes certain that we have the right tools to serve
according to our calling. It is time to shake off any apathy or expectations
of others
that keep us glued to the pew. Start looking for a place to serve, whether
in your church, community, or at work, and you will soon discover how the
Holy
Spirit has gifted you.