From:
Valerie WELLS <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Valerie WELLS <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 17 Nov 2006 08:46:50 -0800

I once had my family physician write "gluten free" on my prescriptions, thinking this would guarantee I got GF medications.  I don't, however, recommend people do this.  It could backfire.  A pharmacist is likely to refuse filling the Rx if he can't guarantee what he dispenses is GF.  All the pharmacists in town may follow & the poor patient could end up w/o the medications he needs.

Instead, I'd advise celiac patients to verbally ask the pharmacist for the gluten status of prescription medications.  But every patient should be prepared to do their own research to find out whether a medication is GF or not.  In a perfect world, the pharmacist knows exactly what's in every pill.  But, unfortunately in the world we live in, that's not the case.

I recommend patients ask for GF medications to help promote gluten awareness among health care professionals.  If we persistently & courteously demand gluten information about out medications, the pharmacists will hopefully begin to request it of the drug manufacturers.  I believe because the smaller drug manufacturers are more willing (and able) to disclose ingredients to pharmacies, they may get more orders from large pharmaceutical chains such as Walgreens, Rite Aid, etc.  As the competition gets tighter, the large drug manufacturers who are not now supplying gluten information may start disclosing all ingredients to keep their share of the market.

I believe that our persistent demands for GF medications & competitive market forces will eventually bring the changes we need.  ~Valerie in Tacoma
*******
*******