From:
Esme Smith <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Esme Smith <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 16 Oct 2006 15:13:34 -0400

Hi All--

Thanks to those who responded to my question about the FluMist
vaccine. For those who missed it, I asked whether it was GF and
whether it was recommended for celiacs. The vaccine is a nasal spray
rather than an injection. I heard from 16 people. I would say there
are no definite conclusions.

Yes, it is GF. Thanks to one helpful list member who wrote to a
contact at Columbus Children's Hospital, this is their response:

	"FluMist contains no gluten.  It is manufactured using sucrose which
is a
purified sugar molecule.  It is also produced using egg protein so those
people with egg allergies should not receive the drug.

	"Patients who have an immune deficiency syndromes such as HIV, certain
cancers (lymphoma or leukemia), those using high dose steroids such as
prednisone should avoid the drug also.  Celiac patient should be able to
use the drug safely."

Steve Plogsted, Pharm.D., BCNSP
Nutrition Support Pharmacist
Columbus Children's Hospital
700 Children's Drive
Columbus, OH 43205

I also consulted with my pediatrician who said yes, it is GF, but he
would leave it up to me as to whether I felt the need to get my child
vaccinated. He does get his own kids vaccinated (they will get the
FluMist this year as well -- same school system), but said he feels
that if a child is otherwise healthy he leaves it up to the parent.
Despite the celiac, my child is otherwise healthy.

As to whether celiacs should take it, there was a wide assortment of

One respondent said she would never do any vaccinations while 2
people said that FluMist contains mercury. -----> My pediatrician
said NO vaccinations have contained mercury for 2 years now.

A few responders felt that there is no need for flu vaccines as they
do not always target the right strain. I think I agree with that --
it's always a shot in the dark (no pun intended) since manufacturers
are making these vaccines so far ahead of each flu season.

A few other responders said they have had flu shots and FluMist
without any problems. One person noted that her son had a reaction to
the flu shot several years ago and he was extremely ill --a serum
reaction. One other mother said her daughter's pediatrician said a
celiac should only have the flu shot and not the FluMist.

Esme in MD

*******
*******