Date:
Mon, 10 Jul 2006 16:26:14 -0400

Maybe someone on the list can help with my thought process on this.

It seems there are a few central impediments to GF dining in restaurants.

1)The use of gluten containing chicken or beef base - this is like a
bouillon mix that they use to flavor everything from rice pilaf to
mashed potatoes to sauce

2) The practice of "steaming vegetables" by boiling them in the pasta water

3) Premarinating meat in soy sauce based marinades using
wheat-containing soy sauce - this seems particularly common at chain
restaurants that use a central commissary

Does anyone know what organization would best be positioned to make
comprehensive recommendations to the restaurant industry to change these
three things? Recommend a GF chicken base, make sure that "steaming" is
used to describe steaming but not immersion in boiling water, and
changing the pre-marinated meat products to be GF?

It would be advantageous to restaurants to do these things, because
there are many of us who are GF and who eat out with our relatives and
friends, making the demographic much larger than they might assume.  We
don't go out to eat with our families at restaurants where we can't eat.

Alice

*******
*******