Date:
Wed, 30 Aug 2006 06:47:13 -0400

I had a disconcerting experience at a Thai restaurant.  When I presented
a dining card and asked for their assistance with the menu, the owner
said that more and more people are coming in with various food allergies
and requesting that the restaurant not use soy sauce or not use oyster
sauce, or use only certain brands of fish sauce etc., sometimes bringing
in their own bottles as well.  They have become frustrated by this, as
they feel it prevents them from serving "real" Thai food, and have
decided therefore to only offer steamed vegetables and plain rice for
people who request special treatment.

In all previous experiences at Thai restaurants, all I had to do was
give them the dining card and they would take care to make things I
could eat.  It seems like now the number of customers with specialized
food requirements has overwhelmed this particular restaurant's good
will, and caused them to create a policy that is less friendly to the GF
community.

I am passing this experience along as "food for thought" as it were, as
I am wondering if we are going to see more of this behavior.  On a
positive note, I am seeing more restaurants of many types that say they
will accomodate special requests, so maybe the experience I had at this
one restaurant was unique.

Alice

*******
*******