Condense Mail Headers

Date:
Fri, 10 Nov 1995 12:40:52 -0500
From:
Kemp Randolph <[log in to unmask]>

On Nov 03, 1995 09:53:26, [log in to unmask] wrote:

>Now I'm confused!  I thought I had the question of alcohol, vis a vis Celiac,
>pretty well straightened out, until I read this morning's posting.

Well, I'm not an expert either but here are some relevant facts. Some
require follow-up, which I have not done, but are straightforward.

The FDA controls alcohols present at  concentrations below 7% as in foods
except wine coolers, the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, and Firearms that for
higher concentration. Each has different labeling and content requirements.
FDA stricter, BATF looser. Anyone question BATF on whether they even
require  a list of all ingredients? Both sets of regulations are drawn up
with the cooperation of the manufacturers: definition of terms in labels
often refer to specific manufacturing procedures. "Vanilla in alcohol
extract" probably has a specific alcohol definition, for example. Hmm
--that's usually high in alcohol, but is a flavoring. FDA or BATF?

Any discussion of the FDA alcohols should start with the "library"(?) file
of the talk given by Felicia Satchell of the FDA at the recent Baltimore
meeting.

BATF alcohols. Proteins like gluten are not going to make it through
distillation unless the still has a very sloppy design. Many of the starchs
used for fermentation to make the alcohol aren't rich enough in fermentable
goodies so grain starch may be added. Thus (clear) vodka often is made from
grain as well as potato. MOst of the popular vodkas admit that in the
labels.  Gin has a similar problem. Rum from molasses is safe for those
still believing some grain might distill over because there's none in the
original pot.

The problem with BATF alcohols is what, if anything, is added after
distillation. Dark rum may  have carmel added for coloring after
distillation. Will that be in the label? Is their definition of carmel the
same as the FDA's?

Frankly, letters to the liquor manufacturers would be in order to clarify
these questions. Since the difficult to measure gluten from oats isn't in
any of the liquors, surely one of those gluten testing kits would be
suitable to give a simple yes no answer on what's added after distillation.

For what it's worth I drink only wine and triply distilled potato vodka:
safe four times on the latter.

                              Kemp Randolph
                              Long Island