From:
Cassie Volleyball <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Cassie Volleyball <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 20 Dec 2006 10:46:24 -0800

Hi All!

  I've already sent out a list of suggested (thanks to all who replied!) organizations to make a donation to.  I also asked who NOT to donate to & why.

  Several people said to be careful donating to local groups.  The reasons ranged from money mismanagement to high-pressure joining tacticts. The general idea was that these groups are meant to be non-profit, so dues paid should cover printed materials and rental fees.  As far as fundraising efforts, it was brought up several times that I should give directly to my organization of choice.  One person did mention that (in her opinion) as a local group leader, local groups operate on a shoestring and could use funds.

  Here are the organizations that came up the most (look back to my original post for a complete list):

  National Foundation for Celiac Awareness (NFCA).
  GIG (Gluten Intolerance Group)
  University of Maryland, Center for Celiac Research, Dr. Alessio Fasano
finerhealth.com , Dr. Ken Fine's research
  Columbia Presbyterian Hospital in NYC. Dr. Peter Green http://www.celiacdiseasecenter.columbia.edu/CF-HOME.htm
  Johns Hopkins celiac program
  www.celiac.org  Celiac Disease Foundation
  Celiac Sprue Association--USA
  univ of chicago, celiac dis program
  http://www.celiacbenefit.org/beneficiary.html
  Celiac Sprue Research Foundation at Stanford University